What type of communication tool would you consider using with parents and with students?
Of course there are very busy parents, but if parents are unable to make it a parent-teacher conference, they can perhaps use their smart-phone Skype applications to make a web-conference with you. I know one teacher who used MSN messenger to tutor a student on Saturdays.
How can you use these communication tools in various teaching situations?
After reading the page of "50 Awesome Ways to Use Skype in the Classroom" I'm eager to have someone guide students through a virtual field-trip or an area that they may not have access to (for budget or disciplinary or any other reasons) and get students excited about a place or to orient students with a place they may visit and are unfamiliar with.
As the new school year begins, what ideas do you have for engaging your students with technology this school year? What can we do with what we already have?
Skype and other online communication devices are perfect ways for both parents and students to trade information in a safe and effective way. The teachers, students, and parents can use these tools when time and opportunity to meet face-to-face are not convenient or possible. I'd use Skype or even a facebook chat item with my students who need help with homework before class, or to talk to parents about their child's progress in class (if they'd like to see "evidence" then a video recording device is perfect to show parents their child's "product").
Cheers! Hope my video works.Fi
You are very tech savy Jour. Good for you.
ReplyDeleteIf you need a webcam, I have an extra one! Whee! Thanks.
ReplyDeleteVisit my crazy blog so I can subscribe to yours! http://jours0own2.blogspot.com/
ReplyDelete